by Eric Bolvin
2) That’s The Way Of The World
4) The Goodbye Look
5) How Did You Know?
7) The Night, The Rain, And You
9) My One And Only Love
10) What’s Goin’ On
11) Bob’s Song
- Catwalk is something I wrote in a Dave Sanborn style. Most of his records begin with something that’s straight ahead funky. EVI flute doubles the melody at the top and a full EVI horn section with two real trumpets on top plays the chorus. I used Melodyne for the four part harmonized trumpet soli. The organ/breath solo is all EVI.
- That’s The Way Of The World has always been one of my favorite tunes. What began as a swing version ended up as smooth jazz/slow jam. This features flugel throughout and my EVI horns with trumpets on top. Dig Myron Dove on piccolo bass!
- Sanazzay; That’s how the locals pronounce my funky hometown of San Jose. This tune was put together with loops and samples and I played all the parts with the exception of the wonderfully funky Mike Renwick on guitar.
- The Goodbye Look. Donald Fagen’s 1984 release “The Nitefly” is one of my favorite records of all time and was the first cd I bought when I got a cd player. Lots of trumpets and flugels here with an EVI flute thrown in. Dan Robbins supplies some great acoustic bass work and Timo Gutierrez plays all the percussion.
- How Did You Know? Is part Steely Dan, part Stevie Wonder and part Pat Methany. The horns on the intro are all EVI as is the harmonica solo on the way out. Mikey adds some tasty guitar leads.
- As. Another of my favorites from Stevie’s Songs In The Key Of Life. I’ve funked it up with a little help from Myron Dove on bass and Peter Booras on drums. The horn section is a unique blend of flugel, harmon-muted trumpet with EVI flute, tenor and bone. The bone solo is all EVI.
- The Night, The Rain And You is my attempt at “Putting the jazz back in smooth jazz.” This one is all me and features the flugel throughout and many EVI parts.
- Toejam has a heavy Marcus Miller influence to it. All the records he did with Miles and Sanborn are awesome. There are four trumpet tracks, some EVI horns and an EVI soprano solo.
- My One And Only Love. One of my favorite ballads gets a smooth treatment with the help of Tim and Dan. The piano, harp and strings are all Kurzweil and the flute and clarinet are EVI.
- What’s Goin On. Another one of my favorite tunes features some cool EVI flute and trumpet throughout.
- Bob’s Song is a tribute to my friend Robert Hall who left us much too soon in 2002. This tune is a feature for the EVI harmonica. You can hear a big band version of this in the publications/big band section of this site.
Some of the mics used in this recording: Brass; ElectroVoice RE20, Shure SM58 Drums;Percussion; ElectroVoice RE20, Shure SM58, Guitar leads; ElectroVoice RE20 All bass and rhythm guitar were record direct.
kick……………………….Audix D 6
snare (top) …………..Audix D 3
snare (bottom)………Marshall MXL601
hat…………………………Audix ADX 51
ride tom………………..Audix D 2
floor tom……………….Audix D 4
over heads……………Marshall MXL2001
ride cymbal…………..Marshall MXL 601