by Eric Bolvin
1) Hip Pocket
3) Two To One
6) Want You Around
8) I’m Dreaming (Of You)
9) Ten Minute Major
10) I Know … I’m Thinking
11) Three Thing
12) Candlestick Park
13) Rhino Jive Jam
14) Veca’s Fantasy
- Hip Pocket is a fun funky tune that I wrote around 1984. This was the first tune I wrote for the Steiner EVI.
- Rinconada is a collaboration between John and I. Around the summer of ’83, I was taking a bike ride and ended up at John’s where he had just come up with the A section of the tune. He said he was stuck on the bridge, so I sat down and came up with one.
- Two To One was written by Ed Harris, the guitarist in the band at the time. Ed is a gifted musician and composer now living in Germany. He enlisted Sandy Cressman to write the lyrics which are dedicated to Steve and Ella Steinberg. We enlisted Tony Lindsay to do the lead vocals who happened to be working at Hot Tracks Studio where this was recorded around 1985.
- Shuflin’ is another one featuring EVI. I was probably listening to too much Al Jarreau at the time, around 1985
- Patricia was written by John in 1984. I promise you he never knew a woman by that name. Ed adds some real tasty acoustic guitar here.
- Want You Around was a big local hit for me around 1985. I was with a popular Bay Area fusion group called The Ensemble and we would get requests for this tune.
- Snurfology was written when I was in college around 1981. And it sounds like it! This was recorded in 1984. Ed and Steve do blow nicely on this.
- I’m Dreaming (Of You) was written by John for his wife-to-be Mirza and was played as the first dance at their wedding.
- Ten Minute Major is from a cd I released in 1997 called The Eric Bolvin Group. It was a four-song ep that really didn’t do much, so I decided to re-release the songs here.
- I Know!..I’m Thinking is also from that 1997 release and features some nice work from Tom Politzer on tenor sax who is currently with Tower Of Power.
- Three Thing is from that ’97 release but was rerecorded for my Quorum cd. This is the original version.
- Candlestick Park is another one that I wrote in college around ’81 and was a big hit on campus. Steve Steinberg and I led a band called Montage and we had a lot of fun playing at San Jose State and the clubs in Los Gatos.
- Rhino Jive Jam was truly lost until I found a rough mix on two track. This tune was never intended to be released, but here it is anyway. Steve and I trade on Lyricon, EVI, trumpet and sax. Recorded in 1983.
- Veca’s Fantasy is another tune that was never really finished. I wrote this around 1983 for a drummer friend Don Veca. Needless to say, we were really into fusion and Chick Corea.